‘Kiss the carton’ safety campaign
Coles team members working in distribution centres are often required to perform duties which require a high degree of manual handling, with many cartons handled each shift.
‘Kiss the carton’ is a safety campaign developed to reduce the risk of injuries by highlighting good manual handling techniques.The program focuses on key areas of good manual handling practice, such as:
- assess the load prior to lifting
- bend your knees, keeping the natural curve of your back
- ‘Kiss the carton’: bring the load close to your body
- always grasp the load securely with both hands prior to lifting
- never twist your body
- apply the same techniques when placing the load on a pallet or a cage
Team members are rewarded for demonstrating safe manual handling techniques.