'Have you seen me?' campaign
Coles distribution centres are busy environments in which manual handling equipment and pedestrians interact regularly. To reduce the risk of collisions, the Coles safety team developed the ‘Have you seen me?’ safety campaign.
A key focus of the program is the establishment of eye contact between team members approaching one another to clarify who has right of way. Team members are encouraged to follow these steps:
- never assume right of way
- sound the horn to alert others
- make eye contact with others
- acknowledge the presence of others to clarify right of way
- keep your eyes in the direction of travel
- if in doubt, stop and check.
The program was initially trialled in New South Wales, and since its introduction there have been no incidents of this nature. The program is now being rolled out nationally.